- Clinical Research Services
- Specialty Services & Products
- Bioinformatics & IT Solutions(active tab)
- Advantage eClinical Suite
Bioinformatics & IT Solutions
Our investment in developing leading edge technologies reflects Emmes’ commitment to innovation. Our IT solutions process and manage clinical research data of all types, and we offer bioinformatics, imaging services and website services.
We also maintain NCI-issued software packages that have more than 18,000 registered users worldwide, plus over 3,000 citations. We stand out in our ability to link imaging, metadata and other data in one system that’s readily available to all service areas.
- Next generation sequencing data management, processing, and analysis
- Use of Amazon Web Services (AWS) for scalable data storage and processing
- Development of the BRB-ArrayTools and BRB-SeqTools software for microarray and next generation sequencing data analysis
- Medical informatics, combined with Advantage eClinical, to produce imaging data for clinical trials
- Includes a picture archiving system and use of Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Creation and maintenance of 508-compliant content management systems
- Implementation of designated public and private sections for sponsor and Data and Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) reporting
Ground-breaking opportunities for genomics research
This work began as a study to better understand the molecular mechanisms of a flu vaccine adjuvant – a compound that enhances the effects of a vaccine. It was notable as one of the first studies to measure how human transcriptional responses change following avian influenza vaccination, both with and without adjuvant and in multiple immune cell types simultaneously. The extensive analysis carried out by the Emmes bioinformatics team revealed strong adjuvant-specific induction of gene expression responses 24 hours following vaccination, some of which predicted later generation of protective levels of antibodies against the avian influenza strain used for vaccination .
To meet the complex data processing requirements, the Emmes bioinformatics team used scalable cloud resources for data processing and analysis. This project laid the foundation for our next-generation sequencing bioinformatics capabilities and advanced data visualizations. The associated research analysis infrastructure can be reproduced and applied to other transcriptomic studies, saving time and money for future research. Ultimately, the results from such studies will help develop better and more personalized vaccines.